Do you eat your lipstick as much as I do? Inevitably within an hour or so of applying a fresh lick of colour, I’m back to my pale, invisible lips. Fret not, friends. Help is at hand! I picked up a slew of makeup tips and tricks at Nordstrom recently. Laura Mercier was putting a free holiday makeup and hair tutorial, so I went, got schooled and walked out looking quite a bit better then when I walked in. Here’s the trick for making your lipstick stay put.
How to make lipstick stay put
- When applying foundation, also smear it across your lips.
- Take a lip liner that matches your lipstick and fill in your lips. Just don’t outline them, colour in-between the lines.
- You can freehand outside your lips if you need to make some adjustments, but go easy. If you’re not well versed in this, you could end up looking like a clown.
- Apply your lipstick.
- Blot your lips on a tissue.
- Take another tissue – ideally one that’s two-ply and separate the plies. You could use three-ply tissue, but that’s just going to be more work.
- Take that thin, transparent now one-ply tissue and place it over your lips.
- Using a blush type brush, pick up some translucent powder and dab it over the tissue, which is still placed over your lips. The powder sets your lipstick and because you’ve got the tissue barrier, the powder doesn’t cling to the colour.
- Remove the tissue and admire your handiwork. Just don’t lick your lips! Try not to eat or drink immediately after. Give it a few minutes or use a straw like Gwen Stefani does on The Voice.
And there you have it. Perfectly set lips for the holiday season. Why not put away your tubes of gloss and give this a try? If you feel you need additional help, however, get a complimentary makeup bag makeover with one of Nordstrom’s Beauty Stylists.
How do you make lipstick, or any makeup for that matter, stick?
Must try this as I have the same issue.
Let me know how it works out. I must confess I felt “too rushed” to do it this morning, but the one night I did it, it totally worked. Really appreciate you taking the time to comment!