Who wants cheaper flights? Don’t everyone raise your hands all at once. Summer is a notoriously expensive time to travel, but Canadians will find it easier on the wallet this year. KAYAK, the world’s leading travel search engine has recently pulled their summer travel data, and the news is good!
As a general rule, it’s a good idea to avoid domestic travel in July and December. That’s when median airfares are highest. But because of the combination of added flight routes from major airlines AND the arrival of new low cost/ultra-low cost carriers (like Flair and WOW) there’s been a trickle down effect on domestic flights.
According to KAYAK, domestic flight prices in Canada are down 7% compared to last year. Lucky Edmonton, Abbotsford, Winnipeg and Hamilton are seeing the biggest price drops – between 25-40% lower. This indicates that travelling within Canada this summer will not only become more accessible, but also more affordable.
Here are the top 2018 domestic deal destinations for Canadians
- Edmonton: Flight prices down 40%; median airfare is $485
- Abbotsford: Flight prices down 33%; median airfare is $396
- Winnipeg: Flight prices down 30%; median airfare is $485
- Hamilton: Flight prices down 25%; median airfare is $445
- Moncton: Flight prices down 19%; median airfare is $518
Fly to these popular domestic destinations for under $600
- Kelowna: Median airfare is $380
- Victoria: Median airfare is $482
- Edmonton: Median airfare is $485
- Winnipeg: Median airfare is $485
- Halifax: Median airfare $572
But what to do in these popular, affordable spots? I may have just written a book about all the wonderful attractions you and your family can visit across Canada! In case you’re interested, you can find more info on: 25 Places in Canada Every Family Should Visit here.
Canadians hoping to travel outside of the country this summer (without breaking the bank) should look south, as the top 10 cheapest destinations for summer travel are within the United States.
Cheapest popular international destinations under $500
- Boston, Massachusetts: Median airfare is $328
- New York, New York: Median airfare is $367
- Chicago, Illinois: Median airfare is $394
- Denver, Colorado: Median airfare is $394
- Phoenix, Arizona: Median airfare is $397
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida: Median airfare is $320
- Los Angeles, California: Median airfare is $412
- Tampa, Florida: Median airfare is $320
- San Diego, California: Median airfare is $414
- Las Vegas, Nevada: Median airfare is $438
On the hunt for for a relatively inexpensive overseas adventure? Canadians have some good global options. Here’s a look at the cheapest popular international destinations under $1,000:
- Cancun: Median airfare is $508
- Reykjavik: Median airfare is $614
- Lima: Median airfare is $743
- Dublin: Median airfare is $810
- Paris: Median airfare is $827
- Stockholm: Median airfare is $834
- Singapore:Median airfare is $843
- Lisbon:Median airfare is $876
- Copenhagen:Median airfare is 876
- Shanghai:Median airfare is $885
Where do you plan on travelling to this summer? We’ve booked a trip to New Brunswick and are planning our first ever girls only camping trip! I’d love to hear what you’re up to. Please comment below.
This post is sponsored by KAYAK. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Travels with Baggage.