I’m still so jazzed from seeing decluttering expert and organizing guru, Peter Walsh, over the weekend. I went straight from his session and tore through two boxes in the basement filled with Japanese trinkets and other seemingly great stuff (that just collects dust). Here are my takeaways from the event:
4 Tips for Creating the Space You Crave
- Start by asking what is the Vision you want for your home, and each room. Think about the feeling you want to have when you’re in that space.
- Next, think about the Function of each room. What do you have in there? What do you actually do in that space?
- Once you have your vision and know the needs of the room, it’s time to create Zones. Set aside space in that room for each activity or functionality. For example, if in your living room you read, scrapbook and watch TV, create specific areas for those activities.
- Finally, you need to set Limits. You’ve set aside the space for what’s important to you, now you need to establish boundaries so you’re not overrun. A good way to deal with this is getting rid of one item for every new one that comes in.
- If you’re in a relationship, the master bedroom is the most important room in the house. Why? Because it shows how you feel about your relationship. It also sends a clear message to kids about your relationship. Wow!
- People are judged more on the quality of their desk than the work they produce. Yikes! Keep flat surfaces clean and only have what’s used frequently next to you.
- To create double the space in your closet, take the tab off a pop can and slip it over your hanger. You can then thread another hanger through the tab.
- Your only responsibility when someone gives you a gift is to accept it and thank them. What you do with the item from that point on is up to you. Doesn’t that just make you feel like a huge weight is off your shoulders? It does for me!
- If the stuff you have doesn’t help you create the life you want, why do you own it?
Remember, if you don’t create the home you want, no one else will.
I’m curious, how organized are you? Do you regularly purge your things?
Images via here, here and here.
That event was so amazing I rushed home to organize too! And I’m so glad I was able to meet you. Happy organizing!
These are great tips, thanks Jody! I’m the most unoragnized person there is, I could probably take up an entire season of tapping for Peter, but this weekend has also inspired me to at least start doing something about it.
I am not an organized person at all. Sorry I missed the event!
This is a great summary Jody! It was nice to finally meet you too 🙂
The pop can tab tip is awesome! (I am very unorganized.)
Today, I hate my home. Thanks for the tips!
I love the ‘gem’ about the gifts…so freeing!
I should have gone to this. My house really needs it.
Pinning this… great tips/summary!
I can’t tell you how good it feels to get my house in the right direction. I’ve lost a bit of steam since Saturday night, but your comments are inspiring me to keep going!