I do Mother’s Day like I do my birthday: I organize it all by myself! No need to pity me, I truly don’t mind. I’d way rather do what I want and get what I like than be disappointed by an ill-fitting piece of clothing or a stressed-out husband trying to make the perfect plan. I realize this sounds harsh, but whatevs. The Huz is thrilled he doesn’t have to worry about making a bunch of reservations and my daughter understands her mom needs mommy time. Here are my two perfect scenarios for Mother’s Day this year.
Mother’s Day Itinerary #1 in Northwest Calgary
1. Sleep in.
2. Tuck into a few choice treats my family has prepared for me. I don’t like eating too much first thing in the morning, but no mother I know ever said no to a Mimosa. Class up the breakfast tray with some elegant flowers, ideally from an independent local shop like Black Earth Floral.
3. Next, I’d like to go to one of the those awesome workout classes I say I’ll go to, but never have. For me, that’s a sweat session at Rumble Boxing at Country Hills Village Shopping Centre. I don’t box regularly, but I know the music is fly and the lights flash like a disco, so I’m pretty certain I’ll find my tribe there.
4. Best to soothe sore muscles with a massage, right? Since it’s steps away, I’ll head into Country Hills Massage Therapy and go for a hot stone massage.
5. OK, now I’m starving. I’m pretty sure calories don’t count on Mother’s Day, so I’ll arrange to meet a friend at Famoso. We’ll tuck into some baked garlic shrimp and perhaps a pie each (Capricciosa for me), washed back with my favourite Sicilian wine and likely some gelato for dessert. Why not? But then again, I might be feeling virtuous after all the body work I’ve done. If that’s the case, I’ll hit up Saigon Maxim for their super fresh and flavourful vermicelli bowls.
6. We’ll need to rest our tummies and since I showered after boxing, it makes perfect sense to get a mani-pedi side by side with a friend. Ducking into Mint Lounge, I’ll treat myself to a mani-pedi. Or, if I was too lazy to do my hair after boxing, I might just nip into Aveda for a blowout.
7. Before heading home, I have one last pitstop to make, since Super Value Liquor is set smack dab within Country Hills Village. I’ll pick up a bottle of bubbles, because we all know the day’s not over yet.
Mother’s Day Itinerary #2 in Southwest Calgary
1. Repeat Steps 1-3 above.
2. Now it’s time to get my shop on! I want to go wherever I want, for as long as I want. I only wish I could spend as much as I want… What woman doesn’t love buying shoes? Sole to Soul in WestHills Towne Centre has all the brands I’m into – especially on the cusp of summer. Every few years I upgrade my Merrell flip flops and this year I might splash out on some sandals from Keen or funky Naot booties. And every spring I buy new runners – that’s usually when I find a smokin’ deal at the Running Room.
3. I often lose track of time inside Urban Barn. Even if I don’t buy anything, it’s worth me going in for the inspiration. They have these wooden outdoor stools that look like cut logs, but I think they’d make the perfect little side coffee table.
4. Mother’s Day just doesn’t feel quite as pampering as it should without a spa treatment. Do yourself a favour and book into Skoah for one of their luxe facials. I always get a thrill when I see the free product they gift you, and my skin is positively glowing when I walk out.
5. To keep shopping or stop for lunch? It’s a tough call. If I’m powering through, I’ll need a little something to tide me over – a juice from Booster Juice (Hail to the Kale!) fits the bill perfectly. But if I’m really and truly famished, I’ll probably hit Earls, because on Saturday and Sunday, everyone gets complimentary scones (massive!) with cream and jam – whether you order off their brunch menu or not. And you how know I like my complimentary carbs!
6. Before I head home, I’ll nip into M & M Food Market and grab some provisions. Hopefully dinner is being prepared for me, but in case it’s not, I’ll be ready.
Get gifted at WestHills Towne Centre and Country Hills Village Shopping Centre
In case you needed another reason to schedule a shopping trip to one of Calgary’s premier shopping centres, I’ve got a stellar one for you. On Saturday, May 11, both WestHills Towne Centre and Country Hills Village Shopping Centre are treating moms. They’ll have roaming ambassadors gifting moms with little surprises. What’s more, each treat has a sticker on it which gives you a chance to win a retailer gift card, coupon or item on the spot. How sweet, right? Be sure to head to either mall that Saturday before Mother’s Day between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. if you’d like to get spoiled.
Country Hills Village Shopping Centre and WestHills Towne Centre have banded together to give one lucky mom a lovely experience. You could win a $25 gift card from Famoso (at WestHills), plus a gift card for Mint Nails Spa & Lounge at Country Hills Village Shopping Centre.
- Comment below with what the perfect Mother’s Day looks like to you.
- Receive an extra entry (each) for liking Country Hills Village or WestHills Towne Centre Facebook page. (We cross-check this, natch.)
- All comments and likes must be received before midnight, May 13, 2019.
- Contest open to residents of Alberta.
The post is presented in partnership with WestHills Towne Centre and Country Hills Village Shopping Centre. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Travels with Baggage possible.
All I can say is Hells Yes to all of this. I’ll likely sleep in (a tiny bit), read a magazine in bed with a strong coffee while my boys make me breakfast and then we’ll head to the beach and hopefully catch some crab. I think it’s a #lifegoal to visit the Fairmont Banff for Mom’s Day. Thanks for the inspo, as usual.
I like reading in bed with a fresh brewed coffee; a pedicure please and brunch or dinner I don’t have to organize with a side of fresh flowers.
Sleeping in and a spa day!
I would to sleep in and then have a fun movie date with the family before supper out. I liked the facebook pages too.
Sleeping in, coffee with Baileys and a hike, and then off to a nice brunch
A perfect Mother’s Day would be breakfast in bed and then a day of shopping! Liked on FB.
A day trip to Banff with my family would be THE BEST Mother’s Day! Brunch and a stroll with my new Grandbaby – LOVE!! Happy Mother’s Day to all the AMAZING Mom’s out there!
Since may is basically a month that is all about me because my birthday is the 9th I tend to get super spoiled. The peefw r mothers day is not having to do a single thing for anyone in my house. I hope this year I get that
I have an 11 year old recovering from surgery right now so my own self care is definently needing some help.
Deep tissue massage, nap time, put the kids in childminding while I go for a swim and attention from hubby haha!
Sweet! Couple time is important…
A perfect Mother’s Day would be sleep in! I would love to have breakfast in bed, a nice cup of tea. I would love one day of not having to cook or do laundry.
A nice dinner out somewhere with a good glass of wine.
A perfect Mother’s Day would be me not cooking, cleaning or nagging someone else to do it! ???? Not very likely to happen though.
Already liked one on FB but did like the other.
My perfect mothers day would be a delicious homemade breakfast, a yoga class and then just relaxing for the rest of the day with my feet up!!
Yes, yoga! Exercise always sets me up well for the day.
The perfect Mother’s Day for me would be to sleep in, go for bunch, and have a clean house (that wasn’t done by me)!
I can’t believe I forgot about a clean house!
Just reading about a perfect mother’s day was nice but actually indulging in this day would be amazing!
You have my approval!
Lori Stainer If I was planning I would want to go for a morning swim and then off to the spa for a massage and finish it off with a mani pedi. Bite to eat out so no dishes or cleanup for me on my day and a couple of cocktails and good music while I wind down from the day at home curled up with my furry friends.
My perfect mother’s day (have not had a perfect one yet in 24 years) would be to sleep in as long as I want to. Then get up and go downstairs to a CLEAN house( no dishes in the sink, counter and stove shiny and clean,floors swept and mopped, the diffuser on with some nice tropical smell, all laundry washed and put away ) Then having my children order and pay for a great delivered at home lunch, drink some kind of alcoholic beverages and watch Netflix.
This will be my first Mother’s Day! I hope to sleep in, have breakfast made for me, and get some pampering – maybe a pedicure, before taking a walk along the water with my little family.
Sleeping in, light breakfast, off to the spa, quick lunch, do some shopping and finish with a nice dinner, oh, and come home to a clean house. That’s not too much to ask for, right?!?!