Wheat-Free Carrot Cake
It was the change in weather that did it. That rainy night last week brought out the 1950’s housewife in me. With the first pitter patter on the rooftop, I had this deep seeded need to fill the house with delicious smells that would sustain us, no matter how poor my culinary experiments turned out. Because, as Nigella puts it, “fiddling with recipes is one of life’s little pleasures.” To my surprise, I concocted a most amazing spelt carrot cake. Warm spices hit all the right notes in this crowd pleaser. The only way this baby could be improved upon, would be by lashing it with a chai whipped cream. Sadly, I had already fulfilled my fiddling quota to attempt that. Hope you enjoy!
Recipe for spelt carrot cake
- 1 3/4 cup White spelt flour (though I used 1 cup white, 3/4 cup whole spelt, just because I had to use it up)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Apple Butter (found in the health food aisle)
- 1/2 cup Palm Sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup Canola Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups Grated Carrots
How to make spelt carrot cake
- Combine spelt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat honey, maple syrup, apple butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric beater.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Add canola oil slowly.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and beat well.
- Stir in grated carrots.
- Pour into a large, well-greased cake pan. (I prefer a Bundt pan)
- Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the baking pan comes out clean
And there you have it. What’s your favourite fall dessert?
Leave A Comment