Part of the reason I think we get so sick of the holidays, is that we’re forced to listen to the same holiday tracks being played over and over again. After scouring the libraries of people who have much better taste in music than I do, I’ve compiled (what I think is) a good mix of seasonal tunes, guaranteed get your groove on. Naturally, there’s some cheese, but also a few unexpected beauties. Listen up!
They Had a Christmas Album?
- “O Come All Ye Faithful” by Weezer
- “Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight)” by Ramones
- “Father Christmas” by The Kinks
- “Christmas in Hollis” by Run-DMC
Get the funk out
- “Soulful Christmas” by James Brown
- “Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas” by The Staple Singers
- “What Christmas Means to Me” by Stevie Wonder
- “Up On the House Top” by Jackson 5
- “Can’t Wait Till Christmas” by Jacksoul
Likely inspired by a Banana Republic or Starbucks CD
- “Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee
- “Sleigh Ride” by The Ronettes
- “Little Saint Nick” by The Beach Boys
I swear I wouldn’t listen to these if I didn’t have a kid…
- “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” by John Denver & The Muppets
- “Christmas Wrapping” by The Waitresses (Thanks, Shrek the Halls)
- “Linus & Lucy” by Vince Guaraldi Trio
If these don’t take you back to Video Hits with Samantha Taylor, I don’t know what will…
- “Last Christmas” by Wham!
- “Do They Know it’s Christmas” by Bandaid
- “We are the World” by USA for Africa
- And for the obligatory Canadian content… “Tears Are Not Enough” by Northern Lights
(I confess, I haven’t downloaded this last one, but the video is priceless.)
What are some of your favourite holiday tracks? Please let me know by commenting below. And if anyone knows who’s the hottie with the maracas in the BandAid video, please dish….
4 favourites..not overplayed for the country girl at heart!
Trisha Yearwood- “Wasn’t his child” it’s about Joseph being Jesus’s stepdad, Something about Christmas time- Bryan Adams, Take a Walk through Betheleham,-various artists and my ultimate fav.. not Country ~Mary’s Boychild- Boney-M, Jody, you are great! and I appreciate your baggage!