Anticipation of an event is oftentimes better than the event itself. That’s how I feel about the holidays. For me, there’s no better way to countdown to Christmas than with a luxe Advent calendar. There’s all kinds of pre-made and DIY calendars for kids, but it takes some searching to find just the right adult Advent calendar ideas.
Adult Advent Calendar Ideas
There’s no shortage of adult advent Calendar ideas, but the trick is finding one that gives you a massive jolt of pleasure each day. You don’t need me to tell you how hectic the days leading up to Christmas are. One way to build the excitement in the countdown to Christmas is to have something to look forward to every day – just for you. Here’s a look at my favourite adult advent calendars.
This is the advent calendar that got me hooked. L’Occitane’s advent calendar takes you on a journey to the south of France, where expert hands harvest anti-oxidant packed herbs and flowers, before distilling their essential oils into soothing skincare products that smell heavenly.
This advent calendar is packaged so prettily, you’ll almost hate to break the cardboard seal to find your goodies. Inside the Classic Advent calendar are are mini sizes of their signature favourites like Shea Butter Hand Cream and Almond Shower Oil. And of course my favourite, Verbena Body Lotion.
Value: $135 Price: $89
The Premium Advent calendar features 24 top tier picks in both full and travel sizes. Yes, that’s right. There’s some full sized product in there! This bright green calendar is designed to look like mini apothecary drawers. After the holidays you can use it to stash your jewelry or other treats.
Find it: L’Occitane, Sephora and online (free shipping on any order over $75).
Value: $260 Price: $144
How fantastic is this season’s Clarins Advent Calendar? Let me count the ways.
- It’s an actual fabric advent calendar and is therefore eco-friendly; in that you’ll be able to re-use it year after year. If you have a child too young to appreciate their own advent calendar, make this year all about you (think of it as an educational way to introduce a concept:), then you can use this advent calendar for them next year.
- On the flip side, because its cherry red design looks so inviting, your pre-teen daughter is apt to want to get in on the action herself. Best to keep it hidden in your bedroom.
- But if you do keep it hidden, you won’t be able to admire its beauty. Clarins 24-Days of Beauty Advent calendar comes with shimmering ornaments, allowing you to decorate your advent calendar as you see fit. Perhaps the days those glittery baubles fall on is a signal to take some extra you-time or at least a little splash of Baileys in your coffee.
- While some of the beauty products are travel-size, you wouldn’t believe how many aren’t. Just for research purposes I pulled out one of the surprises and it was a full-size mascara!
- Besides the mascara, some of the standout products I can’t wait to get my hands on are: Total Eye Lift touted to give eyes a visible lift within 60-seconds, Hand and Nail Treatment Cream, Lip Perfector, a balm that delivers not only moisture, but a hint of colour and Lotus Treatment Oil.
Find it: Shoppers Drug Mart or clarins.com.
Value: $324 Price: $140!
p.s. Clarins also has a 12-day Advent Calendar equally as luxe. Find that one at Shoppers Drug Mart, Nordstrom, Jean Coutu and online at clarins.com
The best way to start off any day (especially a chilly December one) is with a soothing seasonal tea from Canada’s favourite tea purveyor. DAVIDsTEA has two calendars brimming with comfort and joy to choose from. If you’re looking to make every night a silent night, opt for the 24 Days of Tea Caffeine-Free. This seasonal calendar is comprised of blends specially chosen to help you wind down after a day of merry making.
For me, I need all the extra energy I can get, so I’ve been lusting after the their classic 24 Days of Tea. These festive loose leaf blends include some throwback faves, online exclusives and exotic infusions. (Please Santa, let there be Candy Cane Crush in the mix!)
The calendar itself is super bright and cheery with individual drawers containing the tea leaves. Each daily tin of tea makes 1-2 servings of 16 oz. This is one of those no-brainer gifts that’s good for anyone on your list, doesn’t break the bank and makes you look like a super thoughtful friend. Or, if you’re me, you keep the entire calendar for yourself. And update: the teas are listed on the back of each calendar so you know exactly what you’re in for.
Purdys Winter Village Hanging Advent Calendar delivers not only a sweet way to countdown to Christmas, but a device-free way to connect with your kids. It’s up to you (and your crew of elves) to fold up each of the little festive boxes before packing each one with a piece of Purdys chocolate.
All set? Now you can arrange your village how like. Perhaps it’s put up on your mantelpiece. Maybe you dangle the cute boxes from your Christmas tree. Or, you could string the boxes up together to make a garland. However you choose to decorate, your challenge will be not scarfing back all those tempting Purdys chocolates you’ve placed inside each box.
With this fill-it-yourself type of advent calendar, you can customize with milk or dark holiday foiled balls, mini solid Santas or snowmen. And I suppose, nothing’s stopping you from filling your village with Sweet Georgia Browns or Hedgehogs.
Price: From $23