When I travel for work, I’m usually on a set itinerary and it can be hard to fit in exercise. Staying in shape while your on vacation or travelling for business can be hard, but it’s not impossible.
Tempting as holiday cocktails and nibbles are, I know I’ll feel better if I make smarter choices. It’s not that you can’t indulge, it’s just got to be balanced or else you’ll have trouble fitting into your clothes when you get home. (An situation I’m all too familiar with.)
I checked in with my friend Maria Schuba, a certified personal trainer, to learn how to stay fit while on vacation. She’s also an expert with getting back in shape after pregnancy and working out (what you can and can’t do) with pelvic floor issues. It’s essential women take good (gentle) care of their post baby bodies.
The good news is that it’s very possible to stay in shape when you travel and you’ll feel great while implementing suggestions. Here’s what she had to say.
Tips for Staying in Shape While on Vacay
- The most important thing to remember is to pack is your workout gear! If you forget, many hotels now have a fitness program, where they offer runners, clothing and even a yoga mat.
- Hit the grocery store, and fill your mini bar with healthy snacks like cut up veg, fruit, greek yogurt and almonds.
- Ask the concierge for a running map of the area. Consider this part of your sightseeing.
- Water, water, and more water! Airplanes and hotel rooms are a recipe for dehydration. Try to drink more than you normally do (of water, not the fun stuff).
- Write down what you’re eating and drinking. When you’re tracking, it keeps you more accountable.Try MyFitnessPal, it has a great tool for tracking calories.
- Check out the hotel gym upon arrival to see what’s available. Most hotels have at least a treadmill and free weights. No excuses.
- No gym? You can still get a fantastic workout by running (or walking) the stairs.
- There’s tons of excellent fitness apps out there. Download Nike Training Club. It gives you all sorts of workouts whether you’re a beginner, advanced, want to work your legs or cardio. You want it? It’s there.
Easy Work Out You Can Do Anywhere
Here’s an effective 20 minute workout you can do in your hotel room using just your body weight. Mix cardio with strength: 30 seconds of cardio, followed by two different strength exercises for 30 seconds each.
- Jumping jacks – 30 seconds
- Squats – 30 sec
- Push ups – 30 sec
- Butt kickers (run in place, kicking heels to butt) – 30 seconds
- Lunges right leg – 30 sec
- Tricep dips on a chair – 30 sec
- Running with high knees – 30 sec
- Lunges left leg – 30 sec
- Bicycles ab twists – 30 sec
- Skipping rope – 30 sec (motion that you have a rope, even if you’re without)
- Sumo squats – 30 sec
- Plank – 30 sec
- Rest when needed, repeat 3 times.
Do you manage to fit in exercise while on vacation? If so, I’d love to hear how you do it.
If you liked reading this, you’ll enjoy
Heli-yoga? Hell yeah!
Solution for Sore Muscles
Photo via Irene Austen Photography
Thanks Jody! So… have you been working out?!!